We are excited to learn that the Hughes Brothers Manufacturing/Gulf Cone Building in the Cedars neighborhood south of Downtown Dallas has been officially listed in the National Register of Historic Places. In addition to providing recognition for an important historic building, National Register listing opens the door to the powerful Federal and State of Texas historic preservation tax credit programs.
Built in 1903, the Hughes Brothers Manufacturing Building was used to make vinegar, baking soda, preserves, jellies and candy. The parking lot currently on the site was also the home of the first iteration of the Baylor Medical School. By 1941 the building was occupied by the Gulf Cone Company and was the source of most of the ice cream cones consumed in the United States until the late 1990's. The building was designed by Harry Overbeck who also designed the Texas Moline Building in Dallas' historic West End and the two buildings share many architectural features.
Thanks to Jim Anderson Preservation of Dallas for researching, writing and pushing this nomination through.